Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Life Status: Exploratory

As you've read in previous posts, I've buried my head into this book that I'm writing (No Darce, I'm not going to write the WHOLE story until after the New Year) with the plan to get the first phase of it done by the end of the year.

Meanwhile, I've started to explore employment options in Kansas City. It's a challenging region for me because I'm so used to being in San Diego, Silicon Valley or DC, where start-ups and venture capital firms are on every street corner. This is the land of some large corporations, lots of big advertising firms and several sizes of non-profits.

I've recently made friends at a couple of the ad agencies and their work is enticing. I've never done the agency thing, but being able to switch gears on a handful of clients would mesh with the way that my mind likes to operate. It loves to have a project in the foreground to occupy it while processing other projects in the background.

I've also been talking to some of the non-profits in town. In fact, I had lunch today with some fantastic women from CFCA, which brings in about $100 Million a year to bridge the gap between sponsors and children/elderly that need help in 25 different countries. Sponsorship helps them to attend school or get health care, respectively. The sentence that stuck with me the most from our conversation, "We're about the relationship."

I harp on this all of the time... how the content doesn't matter, it's the structure between the pieces of content that matters. It's the verbs and the emotion, not the nouns and the features.

"It's about the relationship." Awesome.
"It's about who you want to be in this world." Double awesome.

So, I sponsored lunch for two women who are doing good things in the world. ;-) Keep up the good work!

No comments: