Friday, December 11, 2009

Love at First Laugh

Nina Raievska (left) and Valentina Blinova wit...Image by State Library of New South Wales collection via Flickr

She giggles...
and you know--
you just know--
that you want that sound
in your life.
As often as possible.
The sound,
love at first...
laugh.
Because there's comfort enough,
for doubled-over,
knee-slapping,
soda-out-the-nose
hilarity.
The best medicine.
Thank you, ma'am,
may I have another...
smile in a snapshot?
Pour our hearts out,
arms entwined,
toast to two cups of love.
LAST CALL!
"When I drink this,
it'll be with me forever."
To go.
"I know," she agrees,
and pounds her cup.
"No time like the present," I say,
and drink it down.
"Ready?" I ask,
Her answer comes in a tightly wrapped
arm around my own.
"Thank you," she whispers,
and I feel her heart closer to mine.