Tuesday, January 12, 2010

4/52: The Rules of Attraction

This is the second year that I've engaged in my resolution to read 52 books in 52 weeks...

4/52: The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis, 2/5 Stars

I find it very strange to read a stream of consciousness style, from multiple characters, that really amounts to nothing more than lost generation drivel, yet find myself unable to put the damn book down.

This book includes Clay, a character from Less Than Zero, but his role is minimal; he only pops in once in awhile. I keep waiting for something to happen... and nothing happens... aside from the abandonment of all responsibility. In fact, the book even ends in a sentence fragment, and I'm sure that I would have kept on and on 'til the break of dawn if Ellis would have kept writing. Like I said, strange.

Book #04 = The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis, 2/5 Stars
Book #03 = Education of a Wandering Man by Louis L'Amour, 3/5 Stars
Book #02 = The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson, 3/5 Stars

Book #01 = Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis, 3/5 Stars

See last year's list of 53 books...