Sunday, March 14, 2010

Destiny: No House Calls

Evolution is around the cornerImage by Nahuel |Bossanostra| via Flickr

In my 12th book of the year, Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, I came across this quote that rang, for me, quite true. The character Fermin Romero de Torres says,
"Destiny is usually just around the corner. Like a thief, a hooker, or a lottery vendor: its three most common personifications. But what destiny does not do is home visits. You have to go for it."
Destiny, or this inevitable course of events, though often spun with positive yarn, simply just is--whatever will be, will be--however, I also believe that if you never turn that corner, you create your own destiny... of nothing. For some, that's fine. For me, never. Walking around the corner is what I do, sometimes for a feast and sometimes there's not a bread crumb left to barter with... but at least I find out. I took the time--and the chance--to know.

And, to me, knowing isn't half the battle; it's the whole thing. The action that accompanies the knowing comprises the full gamut of what it means to live.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]