Monday, May 24, 2010

Melt Your Face Off

IMG_3277Image by justinhenry via Flickr

Drove back to Fayetteville from Kansas City yesterday afternoon with entirely too much to contemplate; of the many ways to respond, which would be the best for all involved? My mind and my body were mush from an insane work week and no opportunity to recuperate with family in town over the weekend. So, I drove autonomously. No thoughts. No music. Made one phone call. Vented.

Yet, even though I was doing 75 mph I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere.

So, I changed my environment. In the 85 degree weather, I rolled up the windows and flipped on the heater to max heat and max fan. For a half an hour I melted my face off. Felt the sweat rolling down my legs and the small of my back expunging the toxic thoughts into the air for them to diffuse into nothing. And, I actually felt better. Mobile sauna.

Towards the end of the half hour I was checking the time on my phone every few minutes; it was becoming a bit much to take. Then came relief--passive cooling--the breeze on wet skin like eating a Klondike bar (ok, not quite).

When you've been doing and saying the same thing over and over for years with no change in result, then you have to change something. I turned up the heat.

Did I get anywhere? In mind, not really. In body, I got home to my bed and slept for 12 hours.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]