Monday, January 16, 2012

Books 1-7 of 52: 2012's Goal

The Hunger Games
Image via Wikipedia
1/52: The Hunger Games by Collins, 4/5 Stars
Entertained Me: High / Made Me Think: Med

This book reminds me of a cross between Stephen King's The Running Man and a short story that Richard Bachman (Stephen King) wrote called The Long Walk. I wonder if Collins is/was a Stephen King fan? Anyway, The Hunger Games was a quick ride that I thoroughly enjoyed. Read it in about 24 hours.


2/52: Catching Fire by Collins, 3.5/5 Stars
Entertained Me: High / Made Me Think: Med

Not quite as good, for me, as the first book, but loved it when they had to return to the arena. I just want Katniss to speak about her feelings; to air them out and figure them out in the open! You don't have to know before you speak. Good read.

3/52: Mockingjay by Collins, 3.5/5 Stars
Entertained Me: High / Made Me Think: Med

Glad that Collins didn't go back to the arena for a 3rd time. Her books would have started to feel like Harry Potter stories with the same template over and over again. Tough ending, especially when you think about how the entire story takes place over the course of 4 years from age 14 to 18, I believe. Another great story and good read.

4/52: Mercury Falls by Kroese, 3/5 Stars
Entertained Me: High / Made Me Think: Med

Kroese has great wit and I'm not a big fan of religion, so to learn that the gods and angels really have no idea what they're doing aside from battling each other... well, that's good entertainment to me. NOTE: It's not as much fun when our U.S. Congress is doing the same thing.

5/52: Mercury Swings byKroese, 2/5 Stars
Entertained Me: High / Made Me Think: Med

This is simply a short story between the two novels.

6/52: Mercury Rises by Kroese, 3/5 Stars
Entertained Me: High / Made Me Think: Med

Back into the fray with Mercury goes Christine, and it's just as fun as it was the first time around with several of the same heavenly characters. Fun read.

7/52: We Are All Weird by Godin, 3/5 Stars
Entertained Me: Med / Made Me Think: Med

Truth, as usual, from Seth Godin. I do believe what he says in this book, which is basically about dis-aggregation. More flavors. More colors. More choices. We're all weird because we can all have the weird things that we want, or build the weird things that others want. The masses are done. The more I read, the more I thought, "If you really wanna know what I'm made of, then this would be a good book for you to read." Since I can remember, people have called me weird or crazy (in a good way), because my mind just kinda works differently than most.
"The new normal (the weird) is also the new moral.” 
“The fact is, some days I don’t care about marketing. I don’t care so much about whether or not Nike sells another sneaker or Marlboro sells another cigarette. What I care a great deal about, through, is each human’s ability to express her art, to develop into the person she is able to become. I care about the connections between people and our ability to challenge and support each other as we create our own versions of art. And I care about freedom, the ability to express yourself until it impinges on someone else’s happiness.”


READ MORE! (Start with this list of my favorite books!)
Follow us at the Twitter hashtag #52bks52wks!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: