Thursday, April 16, 2009

You Complete Me? No.

In the final scenes of Jerry Maguire, Tom Cruise stammers through the door of his wife's place, falls into the mitts of a gaggle of man-thrashing women and declares his love for Dorothy by saying, "I love you. You... you complete me. And I just..."

Of course, as we know, Dorothy, welling up with tears, replies, "Shut up, just shut up. You had me at, 'Hello.'"

We loved it. A great scene. Many of us also had tears in our eyes... the good ones win. Yea!

But, over the years, I've discovered that I don't need to be "completed." I'm not missing some vital part of myself; an empty void that only she can fill. Nor do I want to be with someone that feels that she has an empty spot inside of her. I'm looking for a woman that makes us a couple that can accomplish great things. We don't complete each other, we enhance each other. Though, I admit, "You enhance me," just doesn't have the same ring to it.

So, on that note, it's not, "You complete me."

It's, "You help me complete this bottle so I don't drink the whole damn thing by myself."

That's true love.

2 comments:

Your Favorite Sister said...

LOL - you are so funny! I will just say that I do think my husband completes me because without him something would be missing from my life that is irreplaceable. This does not mean that I am not a "whole" woman or the complete package (oh yeah!) without him but he and I have something together that would not be if he wasn't around.

Robert Zamees said...

You know, now that I think about it, your husband kinda completes me, too. It's the way that he makes those super big gulp vodka/red bulls that I just can't replicate on my own with a near-death experience.