Friday, February 20, 2009

5/52: "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

Book #5 = "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, 3/5 Stars
After reading the verbosity and 25 word sentences of Garcia-Marquez (well, I haven't quite finished it... maybe 20 pages to struggle through still), Cormac McCarthy was such a welcome short-sentenced, who-cares-about-punctuation style that I blew through the whole thing in 3 hours. Style is one thing; content is another story. The book pulled me to the end, begged me to finish it... and I did... and then I closed and it said aloud, "What the fuck did I just read?" It wanted 3 hours of the story before the beginning of the book and 3 hours of the story after the end of the book. I was left wanting and, to a degree, dissatisfied because I had too many unanswered questions. I'm just sayin. I'll still give it a 3 for entertainment value.

Book #4 = "Eleven Minutes" by Paulo Coelho, 2/5 Stars
Book #3 = "The Good Guy" by Dean Koontz, 3/5 Stars
Book #2 = "My Ishmael" by Dan Quinn, 2/5 Stars

Book #1 = "The Zahir" by Paulo Coelho, 3.5/5 Stars

1 comment:

Winifred said...

Reading The Road right now. Loving it!