Thursday, September 17, 2009

Is age just a number?

When I was in high school, I used to say such wonderful things like, "Life is more than a series of consecutive years," and "Cold is only in the mind." Yeah yeah, whatever, dude. I was remin

Pick a NumberImage by THEfunkyman via Flickr

ded of this when I got into a discussion with a friend the other night about age and whether it's just a number. In my trek for true love, I have to consider age because I'd like to be a father of children that I helped to bear. Although I realize there are alternative ways to do this, my first desire would be to do it with my partner. So, for that case, I'm limited to an upper age limit in my search for the right woman.

Is age just a number?

Growth is an important part of life, physically and mentally. I believe that challenges breed growth. Someone that's 5-10 years younger than another could have easily faced more challenges in life and attained more growth than someone that's been fed with the silver spoon for 35 years. This is where my "horse girls are psycho" comment comes from; when you've been handed everything that you have in life, you'll stand around with your hand out a lot. On the other hand, if you've endured great challenges, if you've had to rearrange the plan that you made for yourself, if you've had to roll with the punches or find a new way, then I think you will be much more mature than those around you that haven't.

My foreign friends always laugh at American girls and their "plan" for life. Why? Because the plan is like a business plan these days, practically out-dated as soon as you finish writing it. If you write a plan in a way that details exactly what is going to happen and when it's going to happen, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. And, it gets worse, if you do that and the entire thing is given to you, on schedule, then you've likely lost plenty of opportunities to grow and mature.

Emergent theory, expect the unexpected, is found in life.

So, the next time I say that I'm interested in a woman in her mid-twenties, don't gaffaw or tsk-tsk. Just because most women in their twenties are a mess doesn't mean that all women in their twenties are a mess.

And, most women in their mid-thirties are a mess, too. Hell, I'm kind of a mess when it really comes down to it since I'm so hell-bent on finding the right person like I was told to do in a dream 35 years ago... but that is a whole 'nother story.