Thursday, November 19, 2009

I Believe in the Magic of Many

I got an email from Macy's the other day about their contest... write a story or a video about why you believe in the magic of the season. Interesting challenge, I thought. As a writer, I can accept that challenge. So, I waited a few days to see what type of entries were being published...

Don't get me wrong, I adore programs like the Make-a-Wish foundation, but how do we think much larger? How do we address the problems of the many instead of the wish of one? The top vote-getters are all the entries by and for children that are suffering from ailments. Sad truths, for sure, but why should we stop there?

Can we do more?

The winning entries (top story and top video) each get a trip for four to the 2010 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. So, I thought, let's not make it about the parade, let's make it about the opportunity to gather four individuals with a promise to think outside of the box about problems that are submitted by individuals: local, national, global. Let's just see what happens.

Here is my entry (max 1000 characters):
Magic of Many

I believe,
With all of my heart.
With all of my soul.
Every fiber in my body.
From my knees, I believe.
That we can still grow up
To be what we want to be.
When it seems there’s no longer hope,
That is when we change the world.
Especially our own world.
We all know struggles.
Problems that seem impossible.
Cease the talk, retract our waiting hands
Not to pockets, but to solutions.
Together for a better world, I believe.
In fact, I believe in you,
The life of you and the love in you.
Giving self-less unto others,
Despite how they are unto you.
Without reason or return.
Gather me a Saint, an Artist, a Lover, and a Dreamer.
Me, plus three, for the magic of the season.
And, I promise, we will give thanks
By putting our heads together.
For solutions to great problems, I believe.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

In fact, I'd love to have your vote!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]