Tuesday, January 11, 2011

2011 Goal: 64 Books in 52 Weeks

Since I fell short of the 2010 goal by 12 books, I've added them to the 2011 goal, Which means, I will try to read 64 books this year. Bring it on! Since I've been in Uruguay (without much in the way of internet) for 12 days, I've gotten off to a great start.

I invite you to start your own goal to read 52 books in 52 weeks, and post your progress at the Twitter hashtag #52bks52wks. Good luck!

06/64: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami, 4/5 Stars
My first Murakami book was very enjoyable. Not just because he writes about things that I do, run and write, but because he has a very nice writing style. This was just a precursor to much more that I will read by him.

05/64:
Existentialism by Steven Earnshaw, 1/5 Stars
Though I spent enough time in college studying philosophy to earn a minor degree in it, I don't spend a lot of time reading about--I spend A LOT of time thinking about it. Cruised through this book, focusing more on the sections about Nietzsche than the other philosophers, since I've been slowly reading Thus Spake Zarathustra for a few months.

04/64: The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav, 1.5/5 Stars
Handed to me by a dear friend who said, "Next time you should let a book choose you." There are some thought-provoking tidbits in this book, but must of it is a lecture about how one should live. I'm not fond of literary lectures. Next time I will let a book choose me.

03/64: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, 5/5 Stars
I'd already seen the Swedish version of this movie, so I knew the outcome. However, it is written in a very captivating way and, as usual, the book provides much more color than the movie.

02/64: The Zen of Social Media Marketing by Shama Kabani, 2/5 Stars
If I was a novice marketer, this would have been an excellent book to read. It presents the basic vocabulary needed and the steps that one should take or consider to get started, but doesn't say much in the way of education for the experienced marketer.

01/64: Here Comes Everybody by Clay Shirky, 3/5 Stars
Been meaning to read this book for quite some time. Shirky does a great job of explaining the reasons why people do what they do, and how we should apply those actions to business decisions.

READ MORE!
Follow us at the Twitter hashtag #52bks52wks!

Book #06 = What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami, 4/5 Stars
Book #05 = Existentialism by Steven Earnshaw, 1/5 Stars
Book #04 = The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav, 1/5 Stars
Book #03 = The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, 5/5 Stars
Book #02 = The Zen of Social Media Marketing by Shama Kabani, 2/5 Stars
Book #01 = Here Comes Everybody by Clay Shirky, 3/5 Stars

See 2010's list of 40 books...
See 2009's list of 53 books...