Sunday, March 08, 2009

8&9/52: A Double-header With Coelho

Book #9 = "Veronika Decides To Die" by Paulo Coelho, 1/5 Stars
Coelho milktoast. I saw the "experiment" coming about 1/4 of the way into the book. Bleh. Yawn. This book was all over the place... I grew weary of the divergent plots that seemed to jump into and back out of the middle half of the book.

Book #8 = "By The River Piedra I Sat Down & Wept" by Paulo Coelho, 3/5 Stars
There were a couple of sections in the book that really captivated me, in typical Coelho fashion. In those sections, I couldn't put the book down and my eyes flew across the pages. For instance...
"I clutched at his hair, too, and squeezed him with all my strength, biting his lips and feeling his tongue move in my mouth. This was the kiss I had waited for so long—a kiss born by the rivers of our childhood, when we didn’t know what love meant. A kiss that had been suspended in the air as we grew, that had traveled the world in the souvenir medal, and that had remained hidden behind piles of books. A kiss that had been lost so many times and now was found. In the moment of that kiss were years of searching, disillusionment, and impossible dreams."
However, aside from those few scenes, the book was only mildly entertaining. My armchair writer would have altered the ending and had the "power of miracles" transferred to the woman after the man had given them up for her. Why? So that she could understand his plight and then they could be peers.

GOAL: 52 books in 52 weeks!
Book #7 = "Stiff" by Mary Roach, 2/5 Stars
Book #6 = "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia-Marquez, 1/5 Stars
Book #5 = "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, 3/5 Stars
Book #4 = "Eleven Minutes" by Paulo Coelho, 2/5 Stars
Book #3 = "The Good Guy" by Dean Koontz, 3/5 Stars
Book #2 = "My Ishmael" by Dan Quinn, 2/5 Stars

Book #1 = "The Zahir" by Paulo Coelho, 3.5/5 Stars

READ!

No comments: