Sunday, February 14, 2010

9/52: Duma Key, 10/52: The Dead Don't Dance

The Dead Don't Dance by Charles Martin, 3/5 Stars
I come to expect a lot from Martin because, so far, his books have captivated me. However, I ho-hummed through most of the this novel until the end, where at least he got me to laugh out loud. It dawns on me that maybe the ho-hum was intentional because part of the protagonist's life was missing--and maybe I'll never know the answer to that--but, I'm willing to give Martin the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to another good experience in his writing mind.

Duma Key by Stephen King, 2.5/5 Stars
I blew through the first four or five hundred pages of this thing thinking, "This is the Stephen King that I miss; the one that can capture the edge of the surreal and leave me believing that it's a true story--suspended disbelief, you know--saying to myself that it's possible, it's possible... and it lends credibility to my own experiences with the intangible metaphysical." And then, ghouls storm into beach-side houses in the middle of the night, not just as figments of the imagination, but as true physical hellbent-on-killing beings that are going to drag you back into the sea where you will spend the rest of your days eating Krabby Patties. Boo. Yawn. I shoulda stopped a hundred pages short and wrote my own ending.

READ MORE!

Book #10 = The Dead Don't Dance by Charles Martin, 3/5 Stars
Book #09 = Duma Key by Stephen King, 2.5.5 Stars
Book #08 = Every Woman Has a Story by
Daryl Ott Underhill, 2/5 Stars
Book #07 = Wrapped in Rain by Charles Martin, 3/5 Stars
Book #06 = Maybe (Maybe Not) by Robert Fulghum, 4/5 Stars
Book #05 = The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt, 1/5 Stars
Book #04 = The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis, 2/5 Stars
Book #03 = Education of a Wandering Man by Louis L'Amour, 3/5 Stars
Book #02 = The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson, 3/5 Stars

Book #01 = Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis, 3/5 Stars

Follow us at the Twitter hashtag #52bks52wks!

See last year's list of 53 books...