Monday, September 19, 2011

Books 50-52 of 64

52/64: Delivering Happiness by Hsieh, 2/5 Stars
Entertained Me: Low / Made Me Think: Med

For the poetic culture that has been described at Zappo's, this book (hopefully) doesn't nearly do it justice. I realize that the CEO wrote it without a real editor--simply told the stories that he wanted to tell--and that's why it really fell flat to me. Now that I've slammed it a bit, there were plenty of things that I took from it. In fact, it was one of those books that really had me noodling on an idea that's been percolating in my head for many weeks. I constantly put down the book to note the things that were spinning around in my head. So, I thank it for that.

51/64: Young Men and Fire by MacLean, 1/5 Stars
Entertained Me: Low / Made Me Think: Low

This book about Smoke Jumpers was recommended to me by a gentleman I spoke with in a bar a few weeks ago. I rarely refuse to finish a book, but this one finally got to me with all the boring details about fire. I now know that he and I don't enjoy the same kinds of books... and that's okay!

50/64: Do the Work by Pressfield, 4/5 Stars
Entertained Me: High / Made Me Think: High

Brilliant, thought-provoking book about pushing through the resistance to your creative dreams. Very quick, power-packed read that all right brains should complete.
"A child has no trouble believing the unbelievable, nor does the genius or the madman. It's only you and I, with our big brains and our tiny hearts, who doubt and over think and hesitate. Don't think. Act."
Book #36 = The Dead Town by Koontz, 2.5/5 Stars
Book #35 = Lost Souls by Koontz, 3/5 Stars
Book #34 = Dead and Alive by Koontz, 2/5 Stars
Book #33 = City of Night by Koontz, 3/5 Stars
Book #30 = The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls, 3.5/5 Stars
Book #29 = The Fisher King by LaGravenese, 2.5/5 Stars
Book #28 = The Passage by Justin Cronin, 2/5 Stars
Book #27 = I Hope They Have Beer in Hell by Tucker Max, 0/5 Stars
Book #26 = Diary of a Wimpy Kid, by Jeff Kinney, 3/5 Stars
Book #25 = Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by Rowling, 3/5 Stars
Book #24 = Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince by Rowling, 3/5 Stars
Book #23 = Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by Rowling, 4/5 Stars
Book #22 = Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by Rowling, 2/5 Stars
Book #21 = Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by Rowling, 3/5 Stars
Book #20 = Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by Rowling, 3/5 Stars
Book #19 = Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by Rowling, 3/5 Stars
Book #18 = For an Architecture of Reality by Michael Benedikt, 4/5 Stars
Book #17 = The Guinea Pig Diaries by A.J. Jacobs, 2.5/5 Stars
Book #16 = Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis, 3/5 Stars
Book #15 = Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, 5/5 Stars
Book #14 = This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper, 4/5 Stars
Book #13 = After Dark by Haruki Murakami, 1.5/5 Stars
Book #12 = Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster, 3.5/5 Stars
Book #11 = Travels in the Scriptorium by Paul Auster, 1/5 Stars
Book #10 = American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, 3/5 Stars
Book #09 = Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen, 4.5/5 Stars
Book #08 = The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson, 3/5 Stars
Book #07 = The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson, 5/5 Stars
Book #06 = What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Murakami, 4/5 Stars
Book #05 = Existentialism by Steven Earnshaw, 1/5 Stars
Book #04 = The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav, 1/5 Stars
Book #03 = The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, 5/5 Stars
Book #02 = The Zen of Social Media Marketing by Shama Kabani, 2/5 Stars
Book #01 = Here Comes Everybody by Clay Shirky, 3/5 Stars


See 2010's list of 40 books.
See 2009's list of 53 books.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: