Friday, February 18, 2011

Books 18, 19, 20 of This Year's Goal

20/64: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling, 3/5 Stars
Entertained Me: Med, Made Me Think: Low

There it is! Having read book #20 well before the end of February means that I've achieved my short-term goal. I wanted to make up for falling 12 books short of 52 last year by reading 52+12 this year. By reading 20 by the end of February, I now only have to read one book per week through the rest of the year.

19/64: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling, 3/5 Stars
Entertained Me: Med, Made Me Think: Low

I started reading the Potter books when they first came out. My intent: only read each book after the movie had come out so I could read it and then go see it. I actually saw the first one with my girlfriend at the time and the second one with my next girlfriend--bad idea. I decided to cease that cycle. I find the books entertaining, but I don't fawn over them. They are very easy to read, so I see why they are popular--I'll enjoy breezing through them quickly and taking a small lead on my goal of 64 books this year.

18/64: For an Architecture of Reality by Michael Benedikt, 4/5 Stars
Entertained Me: Med, Made Me Think: High

Few of you, if any, likely know that I have a degree in Architecture. It was always my dream to combine two things--art and math--the former that I loved and the latter my greatest challenge. Therefore, I enjoy opportunities to engage in conversation about it, facade or philosophy. A friend let me borrow this long essay... and in my remarks to her, I said, "I'll have to read this 3 or 4 times to fully comprehend it." However, I quite liked the idea Benedikt proposed that things should be what they are, with realness that considers presence, significance, materiality, and emptiness.

READ MORE!
Follow us at the Twitter hashtag #52bks52wks!

Book #17 = The Guinea Pig Diaries by A.J. Jacobs, 2.5/5 Stars
Book #16 = Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis, 3/5 Stars
Book #15 = Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, 5/5 Stars
Book #14 = This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper, 4/5 Stars
Book #13 = After Dark by Haruki Murakami, 1.5/5 Stars
Book #12 = Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster, 3.5/5 Stars
Book #11 = Travels in the Scriptorium by Paul Auster, 1/5 Stars
Book #10 = American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, 3/5 Stars
Book #09 = Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen, 4.5/5 Stars
Book #08 = The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson, 3/5 Stars
Book #07 = The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson, 5/5 Stars
Book #06 = What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Murakami, 4/5 Stars
Book #05 = Existentialism by Steven Earnshaw, 1/5 Stars
Book #04 = The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav, 1/5 Stars
Book #03 = The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, 5/5 Stars
Book #02 = The Zen of Social Media Marketing by Shama Kabani, 2/5 Stars
Book #01 = Here Comes Everybody by Clay Shirky, 3/5 Stars

See 2010's list of 40 books.
See 2009's list of 53 books.